Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fatty's on mission whilst pondering

Hi there,

Well its all systems go, my son is back at school and I'm walking him to and from, clocking up 6km a day, which if that doesn't get my heart rate up I don't know what will.  Granted the walk with my son isn't actually a speed walk but when I'm doing the journey on my own I up the pace (and boy does it hurt).

After a full weekend of painful abs I am back at the gym tonight, sucker for punishment me.  Actually looking forward to getting my ass kicked and although its painful I know its the only way.

Sitting here in a empty house got me thinking as to why I am the fat one of the family, I mean is it the ingrained learned behaviour of my parents telling me I couldn't leave the table until I'd finished my dinner, as there are children starving in the world (well me eating everything off my plate doesn't actually solve that problem, donating my left overs would probably be a better option), but they meant well I guess.  Its taken me a while to recognise that leaving some food on your plate is OK and eating until your full to bursting is not OK.  Or is it that I am of Mediterranean descent that gives me the rotund look.  I suppose it can't be both because my siblings would be suffering with the same thing. 

The worst of it is I haven't always been fat, OK I was a fat baby (some would be kind and say bonny - I wouldn't), but as I grew up I thinned out, and at one point in my life I actually was a size 10 (8 in US sizes), but that was more to do with not eating much, partying like its going out of style and generally having what I like to call a 'wilderness year', in that I can't remember a lot about it apart from I know it was fun.  But low and behold I was told I was too thin (sometimes you just can't win !).

I do seem to remember as a kid not liking eating in front of people, so maybe I have always had a problem with food.  What I mean is now I eat it as a function rather as enjoyment.  Who knows I guess I'm just rambling and trying to blame something for my fatness, which isn't getting me anywhere, so I'm going to stop and consider that I have recognised I need to do something about my weight problem - and gone ahead and done it, and that people is the first step anyone who has a weight problem has to do.  Its like quitting smoking (been there done that), but YOU have to WANT to do it, no one else can make you. 

A few people have been contacting me asking for tips, and I guess my first one is as above recognise you have a problem, then seek help to deal with it, I chose the Gym but that might not work for you, set yourself reasonable goals (don't expect a quick fix to work because it won't losing weight is a life long commitment to change), stick with it, treat yourself.

I guess I'm going to end on 'everything in moderation' - yeah right coming from the person who has to have just one more slice of pizza, or one more glass of wine, its not easy (change never is), but I know it will be worth it

Love
Fatty

1 comment:

  1. Hiya hiya hiya - as my wife always tell me - best bet is to use more calories than you take in!! Keep on writing - top blog...

    ReplyDelete